Uttarakhand is often known for its hill stations like Mussoorie, Nainital etc. But a very few of us know that it was very famous spot right from the British raj. The British owned and named quite a few places inthis state and now this state not just has the benefit of scenic beauty and snow clad peaks but also has a great history attached with itself.
So, if you are planning to visit Uttarakhand just for its hill stations, I don’t think you would do justice to the place. Don’t just go for hotel booking in Mussoorieand stay put but get out there and explore all these historic places. So, below is a list of 5 places that are also popular tourist spots along with the snow clad peaks.
- RadhaBhawan– RadhaBhawanis quite famous when it comes to historical places in Mussoorie. The place was earlier known as Bellevue. It has a scenic beauty of 360 degree view of the Himalayan range, the famous Doon valley and the great Yamuna valley. Watching the snow clad peaks is truly mesmerising and something you don’t want to miss.
- LandourClock Tower– this place is mostly famous for its British rule hill station in Northern India which was built by them. The name landour is derived from Llanddwror, a village in Carmathenshire in south west Wales. During the British rule it was very common to give such nostalgic names.
- The Abbey-The Abbey is one of the places that just doesn’t have a history attached to it but also is rumoured to be haunted. So, if you are into something spooky, then you have to pay a visit to the Abbey. Go with your own gang for a haunted trip!
- George Everest’s House– Mussoorie was a famous hill station spot right from the time of the British Raj and so there are many places in and around Mussoorie that have been named after the British and also there were many places and mansions owned by them. George Everest’s house happens to be one of them. It has a great view and you will also get to look at the architecture from the colonial times.
- KhalangaWar Memorial– The Khalanga War Memorial is just 5km away from the Dehradun city and it is one of the most famous tourist spots over there. This place still depicts the bravery of the Gorkhas. The reason why it has gained so much popularity is because of the fact the enemy had built this memorial for their opponent. So it is a matter of great honour and also it becomes the world’s first such memorial to be erected by the enemy. You must visit this war memorial to pay a tribute to the brave Gorkhas.
I hope you like these historic places and it brings out the history lover within you. Make your trip more comfortable by looking for best resorts in Mussoorie and Nainital and make your trip worth remembering.