A bone marrow transplant is a well-known medical procedure done for replacing bone marrow that was destroyed or damaged by infection, disease or chemotherapy. The particular procedure is involved with the transplantation of blood stem cells that move to the bone marrow, where they construct new blood cells and encourage growth involved with new marrow. Bone marrow is the fatty and spongy tissue inside one’s bones. It produces the following parts of the blood:
- Red blood cells that carry oxygen along with nutrients all over the body
- White blood cells that fight infection
- Platelets that is responsible for the clots’ formation
Bone marrow also involves immature blood-forming stem cells, called hematopoietic stem cells (or HSCs). Most of the cells are differentiated and they can only create copies of them. Nevertheless, such stem cells are regarded as unspecialized that means they are involved with the possibility to multiply by the process of cell division and remain stem cells or differentiate as well as mature into various types of blood cells. The HSC that is found in the bone marrow will produce new blood cells all over the lifespan of individuals. To get more information about the best bone marrow transplant doctors in India, you can take reference from your relatives or friends.
A bone marrow transplant substitutes the individuals’ stem cells with healthy cells. It helps their body make sufficient platelets, white blood cells, or red blood cells for avoiding bleeding disorders, infections, or anaemia. Healthy stem cells can be sourced from a donor, or they can be sourced from the person’s own body. In these scenarios, stem cells can be grown or harvested prior to the initiation of radiation or chemotherapy treatment. After that, such healthy cells are stored and utilized in transplantation.
Bone marrow transplant are done whenever an individual’s marrow is not sufficiently healthy to function appropriately. It might be because of disease, chronic infections, or cancer treatments. Some of the reasons for a bone marrow transplant are included with the following:
- Aplastic anaemia that is a disorder, where the marrow finishes constructing new blood cells
- Cancers affecting the marrow including lymphoma, leukaemia along with multiple myeloma
- Damaged bone marrow because of chemotherapy
- Congenital neutropenia that is an inherited disorder causing recurring infections
- Sickle cell anaemia that is an inherited blood disorder causing misshapen red blood cells
- Thalassemia that is an inherited blood disorder in which the body produces an abnormal form of haemoglobin that is an integral part involved with red blood cells
A bone marrow transplant is regarded as a significant medical procedure and it enhances the risk of experiencing:
- A drop in blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- A headache
The aforementioned symptoms are usually short-lived; however, a bone marrow transplant can create complications. To know more about doctors for bone marrow transplant in India, you can visit the reputed websites in this field. You should consult your doctor if you are worried about any of the concerns or other. Don’t ignore such symptoms.